If you are symptomatic, isolating or awaiting COVID results, please speak with your physician about the urgency of your lab work prior to booking your appointment or seeking walk-in services.
COVID-19 Testing / Online Booking
Please visit AHS.ca for COVID-19 Testing / Online Booking.
Important Changes to Lab Services During COVID-19
The safety of our patients and employees is our top priority at Alberta Precision Laboratories (APL). APL has implemented changes in order to meet Public Health guidelines while providing high-quality laboratory services for all Albertans as we respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Extra safety precautions, combined with challenges maintaining appropriate staffing levels, have resulted in longer than normal wait times for lab service in many communities. Please read the following information to ensure you access necessary lab testing as quickly as possible, and that you are prepared for your visit to the lab:
- Patients are strongly encouraged to book appointments for lab work (see link below). This assists us to better manage the flow of patients and help limit the potential spread of COVID-19.
- Because the wait time for appointments is longer than we would like, many labs also provide same-day service for walk-in patients.
- Immunocompromised patients and those requiring urgent testing should phone the provincewide Patient Appointment Line: 1-877-868-6848 for assistance.
- For information about COVID-19, including assessment and booking COVID-19 tests, visit: www.ahs.ca/covid
Safety Precautions At All Patient Collection Sites
- Patients with appointments should not arrive more than 5 minutes prior to their scheduled appointment.
- Walk-in patients may get requests from staff to help ensure safe distancing such as:
- Being asked to wait in a nearby indoor location or in your vehicle until space is available in the lab waiting area. You can choose to be notified by cell phone when you can enter the lab.
- When wait times are long, patients may be asked to return at a later time.
- All patients will be screened and assessed for COVID-19 symptoms and risk factors upon arriving at the lab site. Lab staff are required to wear all necessary personal protective equipment, in alignment with Alberta Health Services policies.
- All patients will be provided with a new medical-grade mask to wear over their mouth and nose for the duration of their laboratory visit.
- The number of chairs in waiting rooms has been reduced to provide proper distancing.
- Additional cleaning and hand hygiene practices are in place at all facilities.
We strive to ensure our labs and patient service centres are always safe places for everyone. Please be respectful and follow the directions of our staff, as they are there to help you receive the healthcare service you need.
Verbal and physical abuse of staff or other patients will not be tolerated in APL facilities.
Please proceed to the Booking an Appointment page for information on locations, hours of operation and to book your lab test.
Important Reminder: If you are unable to attend your appointment for any reason, please ensure you cancel it so that it will be available for others who require lab services.
APL medical lab assistant, Maria Van Der Hoek shares an encouraging message about the resilience we’ve all demonstrated through COVID-19.